Friday, May 13, 2011

Featured Artist - 2nd Chance Studio

Hi, my name is Kim, and I have an accumulation problem. I've been collecting since I was a little girl, though I've never really understood the magnetism of old things as related to me until recently. It's now much easier for me to let go of something that the world views as precious - my delightful duty is to take those things lost, forgotten, broken, and in a state of decay, and show the world how incredible they are. truly.

Most artifacts and most people deserve at least a second chance... just as people tend to grow older and wiser, so do the things of this world - true beauty emerges the more storied the item becomes.


Often, the bits of broken are the most beautiful bits of all. Cracks, patina, crazing (most any evidence of again) make my heart melt and my mind race. The decaying border of an ancient box. The miniature landscapes created by peeling paint. The fantastic, organic patina of oxidizing copper. the beauty of a hole that remains after a nail was driven eighty-one years prior. These are the things that inspire me. I attempt to reuse as much as possible of every old item that I dismantle and reconstruct, down to the rust screws and bent nails.




http://www.etsy.com/shop/secondchancestudio

No comments: