Monday, November 21, 2011

Artisan vs. all the rest


As our Holiday Craftacular fast approaches, I've been spending a great deal of time thinking about why going to shows like these are important.
Most of us artisans are acutely aware of our customers-past, present, and future-and try very hard to keep the lines of communication open and productive. So, in that spirit, I would like to offer a few reasons why you should come visit us on the weekend of Dec. 10th and 11th.

1. An artisan show will feature an amazing variety of work, some of which will not be found at any other venue except the artist's own studio. This is a really efficient way to see many things at once: convenient and fun, as there will also be music, food, and great company. I also encourage people to come even--or especially--if you have trepidation about buying artisan goods; this is an opportunity to learn about, or become reacquainted with, the range of media, the processes by which items are made, and the true value of the work in terms of cost. Of course we want to make sales, but we also want to introduce people to our crafts and discover how they might fit into your lives!

2. One of a kind. Need I say more? The beauty of so many artisan goods is that there is often only one of something, or a limited number offered. And many of these pieces have fascinating stories of how the concept came about, or where the materials came from. My most favorite houses to visit are ones where I can point to virtually any object and the owner(s) can tell me the story of where it came from, which are often hilarious, touching, and memorable. This is why artwork such as a show like this offers is wonderful--it has personality, history, and life!

3. I personally get a sour taste in my mouth thinking about big box store shopping. It all feels quite contrived to me, and I always get the feeling of being force-fed what it is I'm supposed to need, want, be like. And if I can't find what I'm after, that's it--game over. And...it's boring.
The beauty of craftspeople is that the story doesn't stop there. If you are looking for something and can't find it, artisans are exactly the people you should be talking to because they can CREATE IT. You may not even know what you want...but if you can describe it, or its function, we can make that slightly blurry idea come into focus. This process, being part of it, is AWESOME. If you haven't tried it yet...why the hell not?

I could really go on and on, but I'll wrap it up, B. Suffice to say that this is truly a fabulous weekend event that should not be missed. We're making it happen, and we want you to do the same!!




No comments: