Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Q&A with Patty Wallens



Today we chat with Patty Wallens, maker of functional and decorative pottery for the home, garden, and personal use. We're giving away one of her most popular items, a gorgeous glazed bowl, so it made sense to find out what makes this artist tick.
Craft Attack: Where do you get inspiration?

Patty Wallens:  I draw inspiration from the plants and animals in our world, especially their curves.  I like to make things that feel good in your hands, whether it’s a mug for your morning tea, or a platter to serve cookies to your friends and family.  What I love about making pottery is that there is always something new to learn, and experimenting with new forms is so much fun!  I like to make pieces in series, because when I make a piece, there is always something to try differently to see how that changes the look and feel.I’ve been making pottery since 2000, and it's endlessly fun and interesting!

CA: What are you working on now? Any new items? 

PW: Lately I’ve been enjoying making slab pieces that are textured with wooden blocks that my husband gave me many years ago.  They were from India and probably used for printing fabrics, and I have always loved them.  It is fun to see how the glaze pools in their imprints, and trying different combinations of glazes changes the character of the piece.

CA: What’s the best compliment you’ve ever received?

PW: I love hearing how people use my pieces every day, that they are part of their daily lives and routines, and not just for special occasions.

CA: What’s one thing most people don’t know about you (or would never guess)?

PW: That I love to work with dreams!  They are such a rich part of life, offering us insight with beauty and humor and metaphor.  

Celebrate Patty's unique artistry and everyday style at the 2012 Holiday Craftacular. Or just win her piece of high-fire stoneware that's up for grabs today!

  

No comments: